Antonella Pasqualone, Prof. Ph.D
Home university/institution and department/research group
University of Bari "Aldo Moro" Dept. of Soil, Plant and Food Science (Di.S.S.P.A.) Food Science and Technology Unit Via Amendola, 165/A, Bari, 70126, Italy
Antonella Pasqualone is Associate Professor of Food Science and Technology at the University of Bari, Italy, where teaches “Cereal technology” (4 ECTS, Master in “Food Science and Technology”), “Food quality and safety certification” (6 ECTS, Bachelor in “Food Science and Technology”) and “Food technologies” (6 ECTS, Master in “Nutrition science for human health”. She is member of the Quality assurance group of the Master course in Food Science and Technology and departmental coordinator for several Erasmus agreements in the Food Technology sector. She is among the founders of the Inter-Departmental Research Center of the University of Bari aimed at Cooperating for the Development of extra-EU Countries (CPS). Habilitated as Full Professor in 2014, she is scientific responsible of several national and international projects and published more than 200 articles in refereed international journals (source = Scopus database), with h-index = 35 (October 2021).
Her main research interests are in the field of Cereal Science and Technology:
- improvement of the nutritional quality of cereal-based foods by incorporating flour from sustainable crops (pulses, acorn);
- formulation and characterization of functional pasta and bakery products, also gluten-free;
- studies on the history and baking systems of flatbreads;
- studies on the activity of polyphenoloxidase in durum wheat and correlations with pasta browning;
- effect of drying and baking on the volatile profile of pasta and bread;
- improvement of bread shelf-life by technological approaches;
- use of durum wheat in bread-making throughout the Mediterranean Basin;
- studies on ethnic foods prepared from faba bean;
- upcycling of food industry waste by addition to cereal-based foods;
- valorisation of traditional cereal-based foods and beverages.
Food technology, Cereal-based foods, Flatbreads, Traditional foods, Ethnic foods